To do or not to do....that is a choice that everyone who has children has to make before they can believe it. Jaylin and Kaylee will be 4 in just a couple of weeks....wow! So that means that most kids start preschool if they haven't already. I always thought that I would just do preschool at home with the girls...I had a teaching degree ( I will explain the past tense at a later date). I can handle teaching two kids for 2 years...right! We shall see what happens....I am not concerned that they won't know the material need to sail through Kindergarten, it is the social interaction that they will not get from being taught at home. Again I wasn't that concerned about that when we first started thinking about all of this a few years ago, but after a week long camp in a preschool setting, I realize that they will need a lot more than I have offered since we have moved.
I said week long camp....that is right, the girls were signed up for a week of preschool just this last week and they absolutely loved it. Jaylin, my kid who would rather sleep in, perked right up the second day when I had to wake them up to get ready and said, "Mom, I get to go to school today!" With the biggest eyes and the biggest smile she has ever had when she woke up...that is saying a lot coming from her! The week was going well and every time I went to pick them up they were having fun and very excited, smiles from ear to ear....even Kaylee who has some social anxiety issues was excited to go and had fun.
Actually Kaylee has switched things up on me again lately. She used to be scared to death of "big" kids at the playground....now there is almost no fear, she just makes sure she avoids them and is able to problem solve with out freaking out if they are in her way.....I am so glad that she has came around with that issue! Adult men on the other hand, unless you are Dad or Grandpa Doug, she still doesn't want anything to do with them for the first 30 mins of being around them. Brett plays ball with the guys from work on Wed and we usually go. She still doesn't warm up to them very quickly even though we see them at least once a week. Women on the other hand....she is usually fine with after just a couple of minutes.
This has never been much of an issue with Jaylin....unless she is tired or hungry, she warms up to almost anyone right away. At least that is how it has been this past year....she could change again. I remember when she was younger she was a mamma's girls for a good portion of her toddler days! She wasn't when she was an infant, but she went through a phase where she was. Kaylee for the most part is a mamma's girl's and I think the only time she wasn't was when Jaylin was, so it worked out well!
Anyway, the neighbors are both starting preschool this year and I have already explained to them that during the "school" year, mom is going to be your teacher. Next summer we can do some more camps like we did this year. Right now they seam fine with that and I pray that when the time comes that they will be.
One of the downfalls with Preschool is when your kids get sick.....yep that happened this last week. We always seam to get sick when we have something fun to do. In May I had some family that had to cancel b/c the girls got sick and we missed a first b-day party. This time Jaylin missed 2 of the 5 days of preschool and while Kaylee wasn't sick, she went one of the two days, but didn't want to go the last day without her sister.
We have decided that I will do it for a year and then if we want to enroll them in preschool next year we can. Either way, they have two years before they will start Kindergarten. They could start in one year, but we have decided for many reasons not to start them a couple of days after they turn 5. They will probably be ready academically, but they may need that extra year to be there emotionally and physically. They just aren't the biggest kids for their age!
Sorry, not a lot of pictures lately....the girls have their last night of tumbling on Monday and I am going to skip softball so I can go and I will get some pictures and a video. They are each to do a final routine of two of their favorite things they have learned to do...should be fun to see what the end up picking!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment