Called the Dr. office Monday and this is where we stand:
- I only have one of the mutations for the MTHF (homozygous)....that is a good thing. Most often it is only treated with increase amounts of Folic Acid. She said that the two mutations requires treatment that usually includes increase Folic Acid, aspirin, and Lovenox shots.
- Since I tested positive for blood clots in the ER 5 days prior to the blood draw on June 30th and they gave me shot of Lovenox, the nurse that I talked to is going to double check with the doctor as to whether we need to redraw. The records from the ER were not sent to my current OBGYN, this all happened while I was transitioning to from one office to the other. The nurse that I talked to is going to call and get a hold of all those records and have the doctor look them over to make sure we haven't missed anything and see if any additional testing needs to be done. She doesn't think I need to be an a blood thinner regimen and wants me to wait on adding aspirin to my meds. She also wants me to spread out my intake of the folic acid, but says if I am going to be really busy one day it is better to take it all at once than risk missing a dose. The doctor will be back in the office on Wednesday so I am hoping to hear back from them by Thursday.
- I specifically asked if they had worked a lot with this issue and she said, " I can't say that we have worked with them a lot b/c they aren't that common. We have seen a few of these cases and have treated women with blood issues before." She assured me that my doctor will only treat me if she feels confident that they can handle this case and at this time they still feel fine with her being my OBGYN. If at anytime something comes up with the baby or me that they aren't comfortable handling, she will refer me to the appropriate specialist.
- The nurse was very cautious as to make sure she was relaying the information to me accurately and several times said "let me double check" and then tried to answer all the questions I had. She also took the time to write all my concerns down to give to my doctor to look over. It was obvious that this wasn't a routine conversation and that she had to make sure that what she told me was correct and she kept referring to something that was written.....whether it was doctors notes in my file or something else, I am not sure.
Until I know more.....
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Thanks for the update. I'm so glad you got some answers and that your doctor's practice is being so careful to give you good information. It seems like they really care.
Also, I love the quotes on the side. Enjoy it while your girls think you and Brett are the best--I've heard that kind of thing doesn't last. =)
Post a Comment