Text Book definition: MTHFR is the name of a gene that produces an enzyme, also called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. If a person carries the genetic mutation that inhibits production of this enzyme, it can result in hyperhomocytenemia, which is an elevated level of an enzyme called homocysteine found in blood plasma. When the body is deficient in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, its ability to absorb folate (also known as vitamin B9), such as folic acid, is inhibited. Folic acid and B9 are both essential to the development and health of the fetus. If you understand all that.....you are better versed in medical terms than I am. The nurse on Wednesday "dumbed" it down to my body doesn't process enough folic acid. From reading on-line, there seams to be many other factors that could be involved with this genetic disorder.
After doing some reading on-line.....we have a lot to think about and I have a lot of questions for my current OBGYN. It appears that we may have to do a lot more to compensate for this genetic disorder than just upping my Folic Acid. I don't know the exact details concerning my case and I plan to call my doctor Monday morning in hopes of sorting out some of those details. When the nurse called me on Wednesday she presented the news as if it was no big deal. When I got off the phone with her I thought, "that seams simple...just up my Folic Acid intake and we will be fine." Some time to think and process the new info, talking with some family members, reading stuff on-line....I have a lot more questions and realize it may end up being quite an ordeal to have just one more kiddo. Either way, Brett and I had already decided that we just wanted one/two (knowing full well that twins could happen again...yikes) more kids and no matter what happens, if/when we are able to carry a baby full term again.....we will be done.
From what I read on-line, many of the women with this disorder have had multiple miscarriages and I am thankful that the doctor agreed to look into why I was miscarrying before I had three or more. Most of the cases I read on-line had very encouraging outcomes, but getting there was not easy. They had to take increased amounts of Folic Acid (which I started today),B-6, B-12, Baby aspirin and Lovanox injections once a day for the duration of the pregnancy. I will be considered high risk from the start and I will have to go in for weekly (minimum) blood draws for at least the first trimester. I will have probably as many, if not more, Dr. visits as I did with the twins. I was considered high risk with the twins, but I didn't have hardly any complications. I am thankful for all the Dr. visits and the great care that I received while prego with the girls. Even though we aren't with the same practice I expect that I will have great care with the practice that we just transferred to.
So much for an easy "single" pregnancy that we were hoping for. We never seam to do things the easy way around here! We knew easy was thrown out the window when we miscarried twice, but had no idea this is what we would be looking forward too.
I will post more when I know more and thanks to those that read this and pray for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
That is incredibly interesting. So, did you not have this problem with the twins? Did it just develop? You probably already answered that and I wasn't paying attention. I'm sorry that all this is happening, and yet, at least now you have a reason for the miscarriages. While it may not make it feel a whole lot better, sometimes "answers" bring peace. I'll keep praying that you'll figure this all out and welcome a new one into this world. Hopefully we'll see you soon.
Val
Post a Comment