Just when you think you might actually get caught up with things....you are proven wrong! The kids are sick and I mean sick! Kaylee was a wreck. People who don't have asthma or have not seen what it does to kids with it, don't really understand why I HATE when my kids get sick. Nobody likes it, but it flat out scares me anytime Kaylee comes down with a cold. It usually runs about the same course with her even though the rest of us will have slightly different symptoms. For Kaylee, it goes straight to her lungs every time. It goes something like this for those that don't know:
1)Runny, itchy nose that drives her crazy.
2) Within 24 hours we are on albuterol treatments to help with the breathing. She sounds like a goose when she is breathing in and a door that needs oil when she is breathing out. The first 48 hours are the hardest. Occasionally she has to do several treatments to get her back track. What does albuterol do to a system...try drinking several highly caffienated beverages in a row and then double it as that is what it does to Kaylee's system. Can you say Jacked Up....she can't sleep and if she isn't crying, she is talking non-stop, but makes little to no sense half of the time. She starts telling a story and by the time she is done, she has changed topics at least 2 times, if not more. Try carrying on a conversation in the middle of the night with a 4 year old who can't even keep her story straight. She has no control over this.
3) As if that isn't enough...she starts throwing up...sometimes it is just a few times and others it is continuous for several hours. This time is was 6 times in 5 hours...how is that for fun!
4) Once she has all the mucus up, we can attempt to keep down liquids. We start with small amount Coke, Pepsi, or anything dark and "thick" to coat her stomach (yes this is from a doctor's recommendations and a friend who's mom used to do this for them...trust me it works). If she keeps that down we drink a little more about 10-20 minutes later. If all is good and it usually is, we start adding water or whatever her little heart desires to get her fluids up.
5) Maintenance/stay on top of the breathing and keep her fluids up. At the same time, we hope a fever doesn't jump into the mix. This time it did and fortunately I was able to get some Motrin down her and it stayed so it didn't get above 102. Her fevers don't usually last more than 24 hours..thank goodness! Like I said....I hate watching what a normal cold virus does to her!
She is currently chatting up a storm with her sister in their bedroom and I am trying to get some of the things done that I wanted to get done the last couple of days. I am going on very little sleep for three nights in a row and my patience is way past gone.
Sorry to report news with out some fun updates...but maybe they will come as soon as I feel like I am on top of things again!
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Libbi,
I am so sorry Kaylee is sick. I know that asthma can really take it out of a kid and can be very scary! Hang in there. Allie has a bad diaper rash that has made her cry the entire day, "my bottom's owie." So while that is not life threatening and no where on the level of what you're dealing with...it does make for a fun day. Oh she also ate some of the prescription diaper cream the doc gave me...so much fun to go around. I will pray that Kaylee gets over this quickly and that everyone else is well soon!
Post a Comment